The primary digital objective is simply the customer you have to have right now. If you’re an Italian restaurant it might be the customer that comes in and orders pizza. If you are a carpeting company it might be the customer that comes in and is re-carpeting their entire house. It simply is that bread-and-butter customer that propels your business in the here and now.
That is not to say that you don’t have other customers that produce some percentage of your business but usually every business has a target group that they have to reach or they are not going to be in business. For our purposes here is pretty much common sense but I have added fancy name calledthe primary objective or primary digital objective.
Don’t over complicate it
Do not over complicate it. You know that there’s a customer that you have to reach. Who is the most prevalent customer that you have? What is the core thing that you sell or service? You should get an answer to thiss right off the top of your head in 3 to 5 seconds.
Why do this?
While it might seem pointless to do something so simple it is important as you lay out your product mix that you have a clear understanding of who the basic customers are and what your basic products or services are. As you develop digital assets, you need to make sure that you know who these people are and how to target them.
Target marketing questions
These questions will help you to begin breaking down and segmenting your primary objective, which is your main customer. Two important reasons you want to do this.
- You need to construct a clear demographic profile of the target customer
- You need to make sure you are creating your content, starting on the homepage, that closely appeals and attracts this group
Some key questions
These are a sampling and by no means represent the only ones you should ask:
- What is the age, gender, and location of our target audience?
- What items are the biggest sellers?
- What items bring the highest margins?
- What time of day or day of the week does the target customer buy?
- How does the target customer buy?
- What occupation is my target customer?
- What devices does the target customer use to access the website or homepage?
- Are a large number of our regular customers on our Facebook page?
The goal here is to really understand your essential customer inside and out. Batteries of questions are a good starting point. Also do not hesitate to have a private dialogue with some of your regular customers one on one.
Once You Have This..
Make sure you begin scripting out all the goals that connect to this target customer. This again helps you firmly define who they are and what you have to have them do. It also breaks this down into segments making it easier to script content later.
Contact Me For More Information Or Consulting